Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Marching With A Limp

Have you ever felt that you were just slightly out of step with everyone else? I remember growing up and not being very popular. And then when my family moved and I started a new school, I was the new kid in the neighborhood and everyone else had been in school together since 1st grade. I was really the odd man out.

So often it is easy to get a pity party going for my self. Being a supervisor (even though just part time) and living among co-workers can be a problem. You do not get invited to go do things with "friends" or, like this evening, you do not get invited to parties/pot lucks. Tonight there was a pot luck and a party at a "friends" house. These are co-workers and neighbors. Everyone lives in this area. In fact, we all mostly live on the same street. I was driving home from work, it was about 5:30 and I drove past the pot luck. Everyone was sitting outside in a large circle, food was being partaked of and the entire neighborhood was there. But my wife and I were not invited. So, we made dinner and watched a movie.

At times I have to convince myself that I was over looked. Other times I have to come up with a reason with a little creativity. But most of all, I have to take a deep breathe, not allow it to bother me, and treat everyone the same. I have to not allow my pity party to take control.

The Bible does say that we are to love others. It just never mentions how hard it can be.

No comments:

Post a Comment