Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Do I Really Want That Memory?

I got sucked into the vortex of Facebook recently. It really was an accident. I was here at home, minding my own business, when one thing led to another and then WHAM! there I was. Maybe not quite like that. It was more of friends (on Facebook) and other friends (on Facebook), and then I joined.

It is amazing to me that there are periods of your life that you really do not want to relive. For me high school is one of them. Yeah, I had some friends in high school. But most of my high school friends were also friends from church and we would hang out together. My church was more of a family for me while high school was not. There are those individuals who seemed to have peeked out in high school. When they tell stories about their life it always starts with "when I was in high school" or "when I was playing football (or baseball, or basketball, or tiddlie-winks) in high school."

It seems that Facebook has this undercurrent of getting in touch with your high school friends. The "recommendations" that they make for people to get in touch with are from your old high school and of course they graduated when you did. I look at the names and I do not know any of them. But I have "found" a few people that I know from church and other places and it is good to hear from them.

Is this replacing relationships in this decade? It is hard to build relationships on the internet. I think maybe we need to be careful that we do not replace true relationships with shallow chatter.

No comments:

Post a Comment