Thursday, May 6, 2010

Memories Of Music Buying - part 3

In 1990 I was at a Larry Norman concert where I met a guy named Dave. We talked for a while and I was pleasantly surprised when I found out that he owned one of my favorite music stores in the Dallas area - Forever Young. At the time Forever Young was in two locations: Irving Tx and Arlington Tx. The Irving store closed down and eventually the Arlington store moved to Grand Prairie TX where they still are today.

Forever Young is a massive 11,000 square foot record store with just about every type and genre imaginable - rock, classic rock, country, classical, gospel, comedy - literally everything.
In 1993 I discovered a used cd store called CD Warehouse. CD Warehouse is a franchise that is scattered through out the US.

Word on the street was that CD Warehouse (in south Arlington TX) had a good selection of Christian rock. I had to go check it out. One afternoon I paid them a visit. I found the usual abundance of Amy Grant and Michael W. Smith. But there were other selections there that were true gems. I visited this store from time to time. But the real gold mine opened a year later.

On a beautiful spring afternoon in 1994 I was on my way home from work. My wife had asked me to stop off at the store, so I was pulling into the parking lot of a local grocery store when I saw a new business that was only a few doors down. The sign caught my attention. The business was called Sound Source and it was a used cd store.

I walked in and started looking around. Because it was a brand new store and just starting out they did not have a large selection. But what they had was some really good stuff! I found an amazing selection of music. I went back the following weekend and bought "The Broken Christmas" and Steve Taylor's "I Predict 1990."

Over the next four years Sound Source became my favorite cd haunt. We found a ton of great music there. The owner, Austin, was a Christian and he always had a lot of Christian rock there.

I remember going into the store once right after someone had unloaded his entire cd collection. Man did I score! I found tons of music that I had been unable to locate before. I found some Swirling Eddies, DA, Kerry Livgren\AD and much, much more. I dropped a lot of money there that day.

But all good things must come to an end. Towards the end of 1999 Austin sold Sound Source to a fellow named Michael that had bought a CD WArehouse in Dallas. Michael was also a Christian that enjoyed a lot of the same music that I did. I went into his Dallas store right after he took it over and found Chagall Guevara and also a radio special about the Mark Heard tribute album "Strong Hand Of Love."

Michael owned Sound Source for about two years and then sold both of his stores. The stores were never the same and eventually shut down. Sound Source was, and still is, greatly missed.

No comments:

Post a Comment