Monday, May 3, 2010

Memories Of Music Buying - Intro part 1

As a small child some of my fondest memories were centered on music. When I was about three to four years old my older sister would be at school and my dad would be at work, I would go to my other and tug on her apron and ask if we could play records. My mother would very patiently tell me "in a little while." After she would finish the dishes and other pressing matters she would get out "my records" and we would "spin some wax" together.

When I was about six or seven years old I got my first record player for Christmas. It had detachable speakers and full stereo! Man was I excited! Along with the record player I got some albums - Gene Autry singing Christmas carols, the Vienna Boys Choir and an album of children's songs. But a few months latter a musical discovery was made, and not just by me but by the entire world. The Beatles hit America and nothing was ever the same.
Buying music for me has always been more than just an occasional thing. I have actually spent entire days just going out and hunting and buying music all over town. As a young teenager in Dallas I remember going to the local record shops and thumbing through albums. Music buying has always been important to me.

In the next several blog installments I am going to take some time to look back over the years and think about some of the different places I have bought music, the experience of music buying and the fond memories. Next time, the journey will begin.


No comments:

Post a Comment