Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Memories Of Music Buying - part 2

When I became a Christian in 1971 my music buying continued. With the discovery of Jesus Music my buying and collecting expanded. One of my record shop haunts moved a few blocks down the street and turned into something other than just a record shop. But in that same block was a Christian book store that sold a lot of music. It was managed by a Pentecostal lady named "Sister" Donna. Donna realized that many people were looking for Jesus Music but were unable to find it. She worked hard at stocking possibly the best selection of Jesus Music in Dallas TX in the early 70s.
As time progressed forward the music buying landscape changed. Two large chains came into the area. One was LP Good Buy. The other was Peaches. LP Good Buy was only in the Dallas market for a very short time. Peaches survived and the locations were mostly bought by another record shop chain.

Going to Peaches was always an experience. I remember buying the first two Seawind albums there along with the Alpha Band album "Spark In The Dark." The selection was massive and going there was always fun.
Peaches use to carry crates where you could store albums. They had smaller ones to store 45 rpms in. When my wife and I got married 18 years ago I still had my crates. I had them stacked on top of each other. She was always afraid they would fall over. I eventually got rid of them.

Another music chain that was in my area that survived for many years was Sound warehouse. Sound Warehouse grew into a large chain long after LP Good Buy and Peaches were gone. They were known originally for being an excellent place for hard to find albums. But in time they began to carry movies and games. They were eventually purchased by Blockbuster and went out of business a few years ago.
Another store that is very dear to my heart was His Place in Dallas TX. It was located next to the old Texas Theatre. His Place was owned and operated by Bob Hatleberg. Bob hired me as the assistant manager. Along with a really good assortment of Christian music (and great prices) we did something very revolutionary at the time. We had a listening center so the customer could hear e music prior to making their purchase. We had a demo tape of almost every album in stock.

His Place continued to sell Christian music for many years. Even though Bob's customer based changed and the selection changed, he stayed open until 2009.

No comments:

Post a Comment