Sunday, March 8, 2009

The Toughest Day Of The Week

For me, Sunday is the hardest day of the week.  It is not because of some physical activity that I have to do or because of a long, hard day at work.  It is because of the fact that there is no where to go to church here on Sunday.  Oh, I know that there is the Community Church.  But they do not believe what I do.  

Now, you may ask what I mean by that.  Good question.  I called the Community Church when I first moved here.  I spoke to the pastor and told him that I had just arrived and wanted to know a little about his church.  He asked me what I wanted to know.  So, I asked him what his format was on Sunday mornings, if he taught through a book of the Bible, or if he might do a topical series or if it was just random sermons.  Then I got down to business.  Where did he stand on the inerrancy and inspiration of the Bible, the virgin birth of Jesus, the bodily resurrection?  His answer?  He gave a nervous laugh and told me that no one ever asks these type of questions.  In fact, no one has asked him these questions since SEMINARY!

Man, what a drag!  These are important questions that we need to keep in the forefront.  They need to be asked and discussed consistently.

There are two other churches here.  One is an Assembly of God and the other is a Baptist church.  I have met the pastors of the Assembly of God church.  They are a husband and wife team that are very devoted to building up their church.  Their hands are extremely tied when it comes to sharing the Lord here and they really march to the denominational beat.  Nice people though.

I know nothing about the Baptist church.  Recently I figured out who the pastor is.  I over heard him talking to someone at the general store.  Missy and I are thinking about calling him (that would mean me) and asking him where he stands on certain theological issues.  

The problem is we are Calvary Chapel people and that is where the Lord has called us.  We made the decision to commit to Calvary Prescott.  About every three weeks we are heading to Prescott on a Wednesday and going to church (I am off on Wednesday and Thursday each week.  That is my weekend.)  We like the pastor.  He actually teaches through the Bible (what a novel idea!) and Janie likes the youth group there.  So, on March 18-19 we will be in Prescott!!!  We get to go to church and enjoy worship, teaching and fellowship.  

Don't take going to church and Christian fellowship for granted.  But, God has been and is faithful.  


No comments:

Post a Comment