Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Finding Music In Phoenix

There is nothing like finding new music on a trip to the "big city." At first you wonder if you will find anything at all, but as always, that is a risk that you take. The hunt is half the fun!
When we arrived in Phoenix we stopped at a bookstore on I17 that is part of Calvary Community Church. I had been told that it was a good bookstore (and I actually picked up a couple of good books). But there is always the question if they had any music that I was interested in.
The store was open when we got there and we wondered inside. As normal in a Christian bookstore the music was way in the back. Hmm. What gems would I find there?
Some good gems were found that day. Along with three good releases that I did not own I also picked up some Christmas music that was hitting the racks while we were there.

In my findings were:
  • The Kry - Undone (2002)
  • Starflyer 59 - My Island (2006)
  • Ashley Cleveland - Before the Daylight's Shot
  • Chris Tomlin - Glory In The Highest (Christmas cd) (2009)
  • Maranatha! Music - Top 25 Christmas Songs (2010)
  • Various Artists - Christmas All Around Us (2910)
On Friday afternoon we ended up at a Half Price Bookstore. At a Half Price you never know what you are going to find! Sometimes you find some pretty good stuff and other times you find that jewel of a cd that you had been looking for.
It is hard to see it in the picture above but on the far left side is a rack of vinyl! I was a good boy and did not spend anytime at all thumbing through the records. (They even had a section of 45 rpms. Man I was impressed!)
I narrowed down my purchase there to only four cds. The Eric Clapton puchase was one that I had really been looking for and was really glad to find.
  • Eric Clapton - Just One Night (1980)
  • Derek & the Dominoes - Layla & Other Assorted Love Songs (1970)
  • John Cougar Mellencamp - Scarecrow - (1985)
  • Joy Electric - Old Wives Tales - (1996)
On Saturday morning we had gone to a mall and in our wondering around walked into Barnes & Noble. I normally do not find good stuff in the B&N music department and I almost did not go into that section. But I did and noticed a section of marked down music. So I began to thumb through and found two good pieces that I picked up.
  • Santana - Abraxas (1970)
  • Billy Joel - Glass Houses (1980)
Over all I scored pretty well over the weekend. Finding good places to pick up good music in a strange town is always a lot of fun. Can't wait to do it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment