Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Meeting Pastor Chuck

There are few people that have influenced a generation of Christians as much as Pastor Chuck Smith. Pastor Chuck is the pastor of Calvary Chapel Costa Mesa (California). His influence during the Jesus Movement of the early 70's has been documented in many books and articles dealing with that time period. What Pastor Chuck is best known for is his clear teaching as he teaches through the Bible: book by book and verse by verse.
I was first exposed to Pastor Chuck when I was about 17 years old. Maranatha! Music was birthed out of Calvary Chapel and was the music label for all of the musicians and bands that were coming out of Pastor Chuck's church. Through the music I first heard of Pastor Chuck and began to listen to tapes of his teaching.

In the late 70's (1978 I think) Pastor Chuck's teaching began to be broadcast on the radio on a daily radio program called The Word For Today. This program is still on the air today. I listened to Pastor Chuck on the radio whenever I had a chance to. But my greatest desire was to one day hear Pastor Chuck in person and to meet him.
Wednesday night, September 8, this desire came to pass when Pastor Chuck and Love Song were at Calvary Chapel Prescott. After the service I got to meet Pastor Chuck. What I discovered was a man who has been walking with God since he was a young child. I felt like I had known this Godly man all of my life.

Pastor Chuck, we love you and I hope to see you again one day soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment