Monday, February 22, 2010

Nothing Like A Good Read

I have a bad habit. I will start reading a book and then I will start another one. I will have two books going at the same time. But this time I have overdone it. I am reading three books at the same time. I will finish all three books, eventually. This time there is no fiction in the mix.
First is a devotional type read written by Pastor Chuck Smith. "The Man God Uses" (Word For Today, 2003) is an excellant book for men. The book has fifteen chapters and I am reading one a day as a type of devotion. My wife gave it to me for Christmas in December.

"Chosen But Free" (Bethany House Publishers, 1999) is another book I got for Christmas this past year. Dr. Geisler has written an excellent book dealing with predestination and free will. Geisler is a moderate Calvinist and so far offers a pretty balanced view. Geisler is usually a challenging author to read. I enjoy the challenge but it is not exactly a book to read in one setting.

When we were back in the Dallas area a few weeks ago I came across this book at a Borders Bookstore. When we got home I ordered a copy of it and just had to start it. "Uncommon Union" (Zondervan, 2009) is written by Dr. John Hannah who is a professor of Historical Theology at Dallas Theological Seminary. This is a historical look at DTS, where the school has been and how it has evoloved over the years. So far a very interesting read.


No comments:

Post a Comment