Monday, August 30, 2010

Love Song and Pastor Chuck

When I was a young Christian, (I was not yet 16 years old so I had been a Christian less than a year), I stumbled across a radio station and stopped when I heard some music that I enjoyed. The next song that came on I had never heard before and could not believe my ears. It was a song about Jesus and it had a modern sound. You know: electric guitars, electric bass and drums. Even a good guitar solo. The year was 1971 and the song was "Little Country Church" by Love Song. I had never heard this type of music before but I was hooked.
Love Song's music influenced many musicians and Christians in the early 70's. The Jesus Movement was in full swing and people were coming to the Lord in droves. In the center of it all was a church in Southern California called Calvary Chapel. In fact, this is the church where the guys in Love Song were a part of. And the pastor?
The pastor was and still is Chuck Smith. He was older and had a heart to minister to all of the young people that came into his church. And these kids came in droves. Pastor Chuck did not try to be "cool" or "hip." He just taught the Bible, verse by verse, and loved on the people in his church.

I got to see Love Song a few times in concert before they disbanded and then caught their reunion tour in 1976.
This summer a box set of their music has been released. The band along with Pastor Chuck have hit the road and are playing a lot of Calvary Chapels. They spent the summer playing the west coast and are now heading into Nevada, Arizona, New Mexico and Colorado. Checking the tour dates that are posted so far I discovered they will be in Prescott AZ on September 8.

So next week we are heading down to hear Pastor Chuck and Love Song. We can hardly wait.

I will do my best to post some pictures.


No comments:

Post a Comment